Today I am here with easy tomato chutney recipe. This is a simple chutney prepared with tomato that can be served with idli, dosa and chappathi.
I learnt this chutney from my mom, when I was young. This chutney is quick and easy to prepare and requires few basic ingredients that are readily available at home most of the time. The variety of the tomatoes used play a vital role in the taste of the chutney. I prefer to use nattu thakkali when in India and Tomatoes on the vine when here in UK. Though other varieties can be used they wont be tangy enough. Whenever I prepare this chutney, my family loves it, especially my kids finish their food without any complaints. Though this chutney is served with idli, dosa or chappathi, sometimes I use it as a spread for sandwich too.
easy tomato chutney, easy thakkali chutney, tomato chutney for idli and dosa
How to make south indian style tomato chutney with step wise pictures?
- Do the necessary preparations like chopping onions, slitting green chillies etc.,
- In a blender, puree tomatoes.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds and fry till they sputter.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Fry till onions turn slightly brown.
- Then add tomato puree, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook in medium heat for few minutes.
- Cook till chutney turns from pale red to bright red colour and reaches the required consistency.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it.
easy tomato chutney, south indian tomato chutney, thakkali chutney, chutney for idli / dosa, chutney for chappathi