Easy Chicken Biryani using Pressure Cooker, Pressure Cooker Chicken Biryani
The recipe I am going to share today is easy chicken biryani using pressure cooker. There are different versions of preparing biryani, but this pressure cooker biryani recipe, is the simpler and easier version. If you are a beginner or a person who does not want to go through the elaborate process of preparing chicken biryani, yet want to prepare a tasty biryani, then this is the recipe for you. Apart from the time taken for marination, this biryani can be prepare in very little time.
I learnt this recipe when I was in Chengalpet from my neighbour aunty who is a great cook. I was a beginner in cooking at that time. Once I prepared a biryani and it turned out mushy with little flavour, so she teased me that it cannot be called biryani but can be called as ‘kozhi pongal’ and then she taught me this recipe. From then I have never failed in preparing a good biryani. There are other recipes, which I have learnt from her, will share them here soon. Whenever I prepare this chicken biryani at home, I always get good compliments from my family. This is my ‘go to recipe’ for preparing chicken biryani.
easy chicken biryani using pressure cooker, pressure cooker chicken biryani recipe
Easy Chicken Biryani using pressure cooker
Easy to follow recipe for tasty chicken biryani prepared in pressure cooker.
Category : One Pot Meal
Recipe Developed, Cooked and Clicked by : Divya Prakash
February 27, 2017
Prep time :
1 hour; Cook time :
25 mins; Total time :
1 hour 25 mins
Yield : 4 servings
To marinate :
- Chicken : 500 grams
- Yogurt : 2 Tablespoons
- Ginger Garlic Paste : 1 Tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder : 1 Teaspoon
- Lemon Juice : 2 – 3 Tablespoons
- Salt : As required
Other ingredients :
- Basmati Rice : 2 Cups
- Oil : 2 Tablespoon
- Ghee : 2 Tablespoon
- Fennel Seeds : 1 Teaspoon
- Cloves : 4 nos.
- Cinnamon : 1″ long
- Cardamom : 4 nos
- Star Anise : 1 no.
- Bay Leaf : 1 no.
- Onions : 2 medium sized
- Green Chillies : 2 – 3 nos.
- Tomatoes : 2 medium sized
- Ginger Garlic Paste : 1 Tablespoon
- Coriander powder : 1 Tablespoon
- Chilli Powder : 1 Teaspoon
- Mint Leaves : 1 handful
- Coriander Leaves : 1 handful
- Salt : To taste
- Clean and wash chicken. Then marinate it with yogurt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt for at least one hour.
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes. Drain excess water and keep it aside.
- Slice onions, chop tomatoes, mint leaves, coriander leaves and slit green chillies.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, star anise and fry.
- Then add sliced onions, green chillies and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Next add chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, chilli powder, coriander leaves, mint leaves , mix well and cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now add chicken along with the marinade, mix well, cover and cook for about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Then add required water, salt and bring it to boil and add basmati rice, ghee and mix well.
- Pressure cook in medium high heat for one whistle and turn off the heat.
- Once the pressure releases, wait till biryani cools down slightly, then gently fluff it up and serve.
- Chicken will release water. So the amount of gravy in the cooker after the cooking the chicken should be considered, while adding water. Usually 2.5 to 3 cups of water is required.
- Depending on the personal heat tolerance level, adjust the amount of chilli powder.
- After the pressure is released wait till the biryani to cool slightly. Then gently fluff it up. If mixed immediately then the rice will break.
how to make tasty chicken biryani in pressure cooker with stepwise pictures?
Clean and wash chicken. Then marinate it with yogurt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt for at least one hour.
Wash the rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes. Then drain excess water and keep it aside.
Do the other prep works like slicing the onions; chopping tomatoes ; cleaning, chopping coriander leaves and mint leaves; and then slitting green chillies.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, star anise and fry.
Add sliced onions, green chillies and fry till onions turn translucent.
Next add chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, chilli powder, coriander leaves, mint leaves and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
Then add chicken along with the marinade, mix well, cover and cook for about 4 – 5 minutes.
Now add the required water, salt and bring it to boil.
Add the soaked and drained rice, ghee and mix well.
Pressure cook in medium high heat for one whistle. Then turn off the heat.
Wait till the pressure releases, then let the biryani cool down slightly. Gently fluff it up and serve.
easy chicken biryani recipe, easy chicken biryani using pressure cooker, pressure cooker chicken biryani recipe