Bread Upma, South Indian style stir fry with leftover Bread
Bread Upma is a simple South Indian style stir fry made with bread pieces. It is so quick and easy to prepare recipe. When you are bored of eating toast and sandwich, you can try this recipe for a change. When you have leftover bread and have no idea what to prepare with it, you can make upma with it. This can be served for breakfast or even as a snack.
bread upma, upma recipe with bread
Easy to prepare Bread Upma recipe. Can be served for breakfast or as a snack.
Category : Bread Recipes
Recipe Developed, Cooked and Clicked by : Divya Prakash
May 05, 2017
Prep time :
05 mins; Cook time :
10 mins; Total time :
Yield : 2 servings
- Bread : 8 Slices
- Oil : 2 Teaspoon
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
- Channa dal : 1 Teaspoon
- Onion : 1 medium sized (chopped)
- Green Chillies : 2 nos.
- Curry Leaves : 1 Sprig
- Tomatoes : 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Garlic : 4-5 cloves (finely chopped)
- Ginger : 1 inch long
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder : 1 Teaspoon
- Chilli powder : 1/4 Teaspoon
- Green Peas : 1/4 Cup
- Salt : to taste
- Cilantro : handful
- Do all the required preparations like chopping onions, tomatoes, slitting green chillies, pounding ginger garlic together and cutting bread into required sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and channa dal.
- Then add chopped onions, curry leaves, green chillies and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, pounded ginger garlic, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and cook till the raw smell goes. Tomatoes would have turned mushy now.
- Then add green peas, required salt and cook. If needed, sprinkle some water and cook.
- Now add the bread pieces and mix well such that the bread pieces are coated with tomato mixture. Cook till the bread pieces are slightly fried. Then turn off the heat.
- You can use any variety of bread. I have used white bread here.
- Adding peas optional, you can add other vegetables like carrot, beans, capsicum etc.,
- Instead of adding green chillies, add chilli powder alone. Or skip chilli powder, add green chillies alone.
- You can fry the bread seperately and add it to tomato mixture, mix. But I did not do that.
How to make bread upma with step wise pictures?
- Chop onions, tomatoes and slit green chillies and keep it ready.
- Pound ginger and garlic together. You can also finely mince garlic and grate ginger and use it.
- Cut bread into required sized pieces.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and channa dal.
- Then add onions, slit green chillies and curry leaves. Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes, pounded ginger and garlic, turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Cook till the raw smell goes and the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Then add green peas, required salt and cook till the peas are cooked. If needed sprinkle some water and cook.
- Mix well such that the bread pieces are coated with the tomato mixture and is slightly fried. Turn off the heat.
bread upma recipe, upma with bread, recipes with bread